Wednesday, September 30, 2015

My Humorous Monologue


BartonD_comedy from Kapaa Middle School MEDIA on Vimeo.



So far I have learned that trying to be funny isn't easy, It takes a lot of thinking and planning. People think comedians have an easy life, not really because they need to know what makes things funny, those are some of the things I learned. But there is more, I've also learned that when putting b-roll over a-roll its challenging, it's not like you can just snap your fingers and poof it's done,nope thats not at all how it works. Even though I have done this before it's still a challenge because you need to remember all the steps and tricks, I mean sure it's easy for some people, but not everyone. I have also learned that when you tell a funny story that already happen, its not easy to recreate.

Ever heard of padding your videos? I never did till now, so padding is when you add extra second at the beginning and ending of a video. Padding your clips is crucial because if you don't wait for those extra (at least 5) seconds then you could cut off some of the words that you are saying at the beginning or ending. So when recording you say "rolling" count 5 seconds then say "action", then the person would start speaking. Then when you finish your recording you say "cut" then wait 5 seconds and stop the video.

For this comedy project I had many weaknesses, some of which was recreating me putting cake on my priest and vice versa. Another one of my weaknesses was getting footage of the first birthday party, though my priest moved mountains for me to get that footage. My priest Ryan Newman was a great help, also other church members, such as Uncle David Murray, and Anna Yu. My strength was being able to adjust all the footage I had to match my monologue, though for one of my b-roll, I wasn't able to get a footage of the church. Some ways I feel I could improve is by having prepared and plan better.





No comments:

Post a Comment